FLIGHT DISRUPTION DUE TO VOLCANIC ASHFriday 23 April
After six days of disruption due to a cloud of volcanic ash from an Icelandic volcano, UK and European airspace is now open again. Airlines are doing their best to return to a normal schedule and are starting to bring home passengers stranded overseas.
KE's priority is to help all our stranded clients to return home as soon as possible.
To view the latest statement from the NATS website at 1845 21 April: http://www.nats.co.uk/
Clients flying from the UK in the next few days:
If you are due to depart in the next few days you can assume your trip will go ahead as planned. However you should check on the status of your flight with your chosen airline or call the KE office.
What happens if your flight is cancelled?
For clients who booked a Land Only Package plus Flights, we will look for alternative flights to enable to you to travel. If there are no alternative flights, we will offer you the choice to move the dates of your holiday to a later departure, to book another holiday of your choice, or request a refund.
For Land Only clients who have bought a tour through KE but arranged their own flights, we can help with looking for alternative flights. If there are no alternative flights, we cannot offer a full refund unless we have had to cancel the entire tour due to insufficient numbers (in many cases our tours are going ahead as many clients are flying in from areas not effected by the no fly zone.) You should check the cancellation terms of your travel insurance policy.*****
What happens to clients not flying in from the UK?
We have many overseas passengers who will not be affected by the disruption from the UK and they should proceed as normal.
Clients currently abroad and due to return home in the next few days:
Along with our ground agents and tour leaders we will liaise with the airlines on your behalf to arrange your journey home as soon as possible.
Your local agent or tour leader should have provided you with up to date information. If you have not had an update or are experiencing other problems, please do not hesitate to contact KE via the numbers below.
In these extreme circumstances understandingly some clients have decided to make their own way home. Please note that anyone who decides to return home by any method other than with their original airline, do so at their own expense and risk. KE cannot cover these costs but will assist any client trying to make alternative plans.
Refunds on unused tickets purchased through KE.
If you have returned to the UK and not used the homeward leg of your original flight, we will attempt to process a refund for you. We will contact all clients with details early next week.
Now that flights are starting to return to the UK we have listed a few points of advice:
- In many cases you will have a confirmed return flight that will involve you staying many more days in your current location. This is because the airlines have to give priority to those passengers who have a confirmed reservation. Anyone who has been delayed will be fitted in where ever space becomes available. We believe that most airlines will put on extra capacity over the next few days and so you should be able to get home earlier. We of course will do everything possible to help, but from past experience we know that appearing in person at the airline offices, to ask for an earlier return date, can only help.
- Please arrive at the airport with plenty of time to spare for flights home as airlines could release seats once normal check-in time has elapsed.
- For those of you who have used our recommended insurance provider, Snowcard, it will be reassuring to know that your cover, for medical emergencies is automatically extended in these circumstances until you return home. The majority of other travel insurance companies also follow this policy but if you are unsure you should check with your provider.
- When you do finally have a confirmed flight and settle your hotel bills, please keep all receipts and copies of travel documents, as they will be essential in any possible insurance claim.
- Please check the length of any visa you have, in some cases you may have to get an extension.
- Many of you will have a car parked at the airport. We suggest that you contact the car park operators individually and see if they would waive any fees incurred due to the extended delay. If you leave it to you return you may have no choice but to pay up. We have heard that some car park operators are waiving fees.
Another good source of advice and the latest news for any British Nationals stranded abroad is the Foreign & Commonwealth Office website: www.fco.gov.uk
KE Adventure Travel
Normal office hours (UK time):9 am - 5.30 pm Monday to Friday. 9 am - 5.00 pm Saturday.
Tel: 00 44 (0) 17687 73966.
Out of office hours: 00 44 (0) 7818 018 699.
If you are stuck abroad or planning to travel over the next few days, you can be assured that KE will do all we can to assist you and keep you informed with any updates.