Mountaineering / Climbing Checklist
In addition to the checklist for trekking equipment and depending on the trip you have chosen, various items of mountaineering equipment may also be required.
- Mountaineering boots
- Crampons (preferably with ‘step-in’ bindings)
- Ice axe
- Mountaineering or climbing harness
- ‘Figure of 8’ descender (rappelling device)
- Climbing helmet
- Climbing sling (approx. 1 metre (3 feet))
- Prussik loops (take 5 metres (16 feet) of 6mm climbing accessory cord)
Most if not all of this equipment will be needed for any KE trip that crosses steep, snow-covered ground, or which includes sections of glacier travel. Our recommendation that you take no more than 15 kgs (33 lbs) of trekking equipment does not include your mountaineering boots, ice axe, crampons, harness etc. (In some cases, climbing hardware can be carried separately from your personal trek bag (in group bags) until needed).
Please refer to the individual trip kit kist for specific clothing and equipment requirements.