Greenland - Mountain, Fjord, Icecap

Greenland & Iceland, Trek & Walk, 12 days - from $4,020 (land only)

Trek & WalkPolar

Country Profile

Adventure Trekking holiday in GreenlandAdventure Trekking holiday in Greenland


Greenland is the world's biggest island. The surrounding seas are either permanently frozen or chilled by cold currents. The inland area is covered with ice, stretching 2,500km north-south and 1,000km east-west. In the centre, the ice can be up to 3km thick. The ice-free coastal region, which is sometimes as wide as 200km, covers a total of 410,449 sq km, and is where all of the population is to be found. This region is intersected by deep fjords which connect the inland ice area with the sea.

Time Zone

Time Zone in Greemalnd is GMT -3hrs. (WGT - West Greenland Time).


The official languages are Greenlandic, an Inuit (Eskimo) language and Danish. Greenlanders connected with tourism will normally speak English.


Greenland has an Arctic climate, but owing to the size of the country there are great variations in the weather. Winters can be severe and the summers comparatively mild, particularly in areas which are sheltered from the prevailing winds. Precipitation, mostly snow, is moderately heavy around the coast. The north of the country, and much of the interior, enjoys true Arctic weather, with the temperature only rising above freezing for brief periods in the summer.


Greenland uses the Danish Korne DKK, Dr.

Visa Requirements

A passport with 6 months remaining validity is required. Visas are not required by UK, EU, USA, Canadian or Australian passport holders. Other nationalities should check with the Danish Consulate in their own country. For citizens of countries that need a visa to enter Denmark, a visa is also required for Greenland.


You should attend your own doctor and dentist for a check-up. No special vaccinations are required for Greenland. UK residents should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before travelling. The EHIC is normally valid for three to five years and covers any medical treatment that becomes necessary during your trip, because of either illness or an accident. The card gives access to state-provided medical treatment only, and you'll be treated on the same basis as an 'insured' person living in the country you're visiting. Remember, this might not cover all the things you'd expect to get free of charge from the NHS in the UK. You may have to make a contribution to the cost of your care. You can obtain an EHIC from the Department of Health by phone, online, or at the post office.

Book Holiday

KE Adventure Travel, Central Car Park Road, Keswick, Cumbria CA12 5DF, England
tel +44 (0)17687 73966 USA/Canada Toll Free 1 888 630 4415

Privacy & Cookies Policy | Sitemap
Website by Accord